The Triumph of Jesus Christ
“And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.”
You Have an Enemy
- Your enemy is much smarter than you, much stronger, does not die, does not move away, does not get distracted, will only accept your suicide, and plans to destroy you.
- Not even Michael the archangel rails against him, but must resort to God (Jude 1:9).
- Your enemy tricked your grandmother (Eve) to reject God and commit triple suicide.
- Your enemy is the old wicked serpent from Eden, called the Devil, and Satan.
- God promised that a great Son born to this cursed woman would save you (Gen 3:15).
- Your murderous enemy saw Abel as a son and stirred up his brother Cain to kill him.
- God preserved the promised seed by replacing Abel with another son Seth (Gen 4:25).
- Your enemy invented polygamy for the world to multiply women to ruin your family.
- God sent a Flood to drown them all but for one family to continue the promised Seed.
- Your enemy slandered noble relatives like Job and slandered their motives (Job 1-2).
- Your enemy knew his Conqueror must come through Judah, so he perverted his sons.
- Your enemy knew his Conqueror must come through David, so he moved him to sin.
- Your enemy knew his Conqueror came from Bethlehem, so he had Herod kill babies.
- Your enemy saw his Conqueror get baptized by John, so he tempted Him in the desert.
- Your enemy entered Judas’s heart and incited him to betray your Saviour (Jn 13:27).
- Your enemy sifted Peter, one of the apostles, and led him to deny Him (Lu 22:31-32).
- Your enemy used all means in his army to attack your promised Savior on the cross.
- Your enemy had you a willing slave without will or power to leave him (Eph 2:1-3).
- You did not care and could not see, for he had blinded your eyes to God (II Co 4:3-4).
- You opposed truth and even yourself as your enemy had you trapped (II Tim 2:25-26).
- Your enemy as prince and god of this world deceives the whole world (Rev 12:9).
- Your enemy is the power of darkness, for he with blinding ignorance deceives men.
Jesus Defeated your Enemy
- Promised in Eden, Jesus the woman’s Son fatally bruised the devil’s head (Gen 3:15).
- Catholics, the profane blasphemers that they are, give this victory to the woman Mary!
- He took your nature, flesh and blood, in order to die and destroy death (Heb 2:14-15).
- Your strong enemy had you in his palace, but Jesus was stronger (Luke 11:21-22).
- He came into this world for the purpose of destroying the devil’s works (I John 3:8).
- His destiny, purposed by God before the world began, is eternal torment (Rev 20:10).
- God sent Jesus Christ to deliver you from his power and translated you (Col 1:13).
- Jesus commanded devils without begging (Luke 4:30-37; 10:17-20; Acts 19:13-20).
- Jesus is over your enemy (Eph 1:19-23; 3:10; 6:12; Phil 2:9-10; Col 2:10; Heb 1:4).
- His great victory over your enemy was at the cross (John 12:31; Revelation 12:5-11).
You Are Complete in Christ
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
- You are perfect in Christ Jesus. Neither you nor anyone else can add to your salvation.
- You are fully accepted in God’s sight in Christ Jesus by legal representation (Ep 1:6).
- Why is the headship of Jesus Christ over all devils mentioned here with salvation?
- You are completely secure in Him by His victory (Romans 8:33-39; John 16:11).
- All authority in the universe is His; He reigns for you, His fullness (Eph 1:20-23)!
- Your enemy – your captor – is conquered and under Christ’s dominion (Lu 11:22).
- No one can lay a charge against you, for Jesus has entirely freed you (Re 12:5-11).
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
- Your completeness in Jesus Christ has no place for physical circumcision (Gal 5:6).
- The only circumcision that counts is one without hands in cutting off Jesus Christ.
- The circumcision of Christ is subjective- or objective-genitive. We know objective.
- Jesus paid for our sins by being cut off Himself by the wrath of God against sin.
- He was cut off out of the land of the living to pay for your sins (Is 53:8; Dan 9:26).
- Jesus circumcised you (actively) by being circumcised at Calvary (passively).
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
- After dying to save you, God raised Him from the dead, so you are completely saved.
- After dying to save you, God raised Him from the dead, so you confess it by baptism.
- Faith in the operation of God must copy the figure of what He did for you (I Pet 3:21).
- There is no room for Catholic or Presbyterian baptism by buried, risen, and faith.
- Liars put infant circumcision in v.11 and infant baptism here for covenant heresy.
- Circumcision and baptism are unrelated spiritually, grammatically, in every way.
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
- Completeness in Christ requires your vital salvation – regeneration from death in sins.
- Uncircumcised flesh here is not physical, just as in v.11, but rather your fleshly lusts.
- With your sins forgiven legally, there yet remained the giving of life, which God did.
- God quickened Jesus from the dead and you with Him spiritually (Ep 1:19-20; 2:1-5).
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
- Jesus obeyed every jot and tittle of Moses’ Law, and then He died a curse under it!
- It is hard to imagine how a complex clause could more fully declare the Law paid for!
- God’s Law, which exposes man’s sinfulness, has been taken out of the way to God.
- Do you see how complete you are in Him? There is nothing between God and you.
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
- Paul earlier stated your deliverance from the devil’s kingdom into Christ’s (Col 1:13).
- Jesus spoiled the principalities by stripping, pillaging, plundering, and robbing Satan.
- He went into his evil kingdom and took out of it everyone He desired and chose.
- This work was the Stronger Man binding the strong man, for you (Luke 11:20-22)!
- Satan had you as surely as Judas and a Gadarene – to destroy you here and in hell.
- He took death, the greatest tool in their arsenal, and used it to triumph over them in it!
- This was Satan’s hour – his time (Luke 22:53; Jn 14:30). But Jesus shamed Him!
- They thought they had Him, dying on a cross, forsaken by God – He triumphed!
- The sun went dark! A thief repented! Rocks rent! The veil was ripped! A centurion worshipped! He rose again! Many saints also rose for open shewing! He shewed Himself alive with many infallible proofs! Give Him glory, dear reader!
- He ruined their access to heaven and cast them to the earth (John 12:31: Rev 12).
- You are complete! You are saved! Salvation is perfectly finished! You are complete!
You Are Indebted to Christ
- Repentance is a great gift by God’s will, use it to obey the truth (II Timothy 2:25-26).
- Believe every testimony scripture gives of Him, confess your faith, and be baptized.
- By Christ’s death the gospel can shine unto you (Matt 16:18; II Cor 4:6; Acts 26:18).
- Paul reasoned that he owed everything to the One Who died for him (II Cor 5:14-17).
- The victory is so complete, if you but resist the devil, he will flee from you (Jas 4:7).
- Find a local church of apostolic faith and order and keep His closed supper with them.