What Hath God Wrought!
“Surely there is no enchantment against Jacob, neither is there any divination against Israel: according to this time it shall be said of Jacob and of Israel, What hath God wrought!”
- Balaam spoke the words above to Balak, telling him nothing could stop God’s very great blessings.
- The full context is found in Number 23:18-24, which describes certain blessing and favor on Israel.
- Balak could mark his calendar from this time, for their success would be – What hath God wrought!
- The words are no question at all – the words are a powerful exclamation as to the great work of God.
- The words deserve an exclamation …. for Israel taking Canaan … but God in Christ did much more!
- The gifts and calling of God in Jesus Christ are without repentance by eternal decree (Rom 11:29).
- He does not see iniquity or perversity in us, for He has forgotten our sins and clothed us with Christ.
- There is no enchantment or divination against Gentiles, the church of God, for Jesus defeated Satan.
- The most powerful foe, though weak in comparison, has been openly exposed at the cross of Jesus.
- What hath God wrought! At Jesus Christ’s birth! His ministry! His death! Resurrection! Ascension!
Names Written in Heaven
- Seventy gospel preachers returned celebrating their power over devils (Lu 9:1; 10:1).
- Jesus declared He had observed their effect on Satan’s kingdom by their ministries.
- He gave them greater power through Him to walk over all the power of Satan’s realm.
- There are many examples in the gospels and Acts, even Philip at Samaria (Ac 8:5-12).
- However … He warned … their names written in heaven was cause for far greater joy.
- The Bible states plainly our names in that book are by His eternal choice and crucial.
- What hath God wrought! Ordinary men with power over devils and written in heaven!
- Key observation … God and Jesus Christ fully know exactly what they have given us.
- Key observation … God and Jesus Christ fully perceive our joy, zeal, and priorities.
- Key observation … God and Jesus Christ fully expect us to have proper priorities.
- Lesson … do you fully grasp what God has wrought for you … and serve Him for it?
- What makes you happy, motivates you, captures your passion, or thrills you? Beware!
- You should boast of the great things He has done for you (Ps 34:1-3; Mark 5:19-20)!
Ultimate Love by Giving His Son
(I John 3:16; 4:9-10; John 3:16; Rom 5:6-8; 8:32)
- No one else has loved you in any meaningful way in comparison to this ultimate love.
- There is a connected conclusion that we therefore ought to love the brethren likewise.
- The love of the infinitely holy God for depraved rebel enemies is an incredible thing.
- God filled our hearts and minds when we considered the riches of His grace in Christ.
- Even Paul valued the riches in light of his chosen position to preach it to the Gentiles.
- In case you have forgotten His riches.
(II Cor 9:15)
- God’s gift of His Son Jesus and all involved is truly unspeakable – ineffably sublime.
- The use of this inspired clause here was to motivate proper giving by the Corinthians.
Great Mystery of Godliness
(I Tim 3:16)
- The six-fold blessing of Christ covers His birth to ascension and blessings all around.
- This glorious saying of Christ is to motivate the church to uphold and defend the truth.
- For more about the fabulous gospel.
Six Things Determined
- Daniel prophesied 483 years from Cyrus’ command to the anointing of the Messiah.
- The six things that Messiah would do are incredibly great and deserve glorious praise.
(I Pet 1:8)
- Faith in the return of Jesus Christ is able to produce such joy even in those suffering.
- What is the discernible evidence in your life of unspeakable joy and great glory?
Behold – Adoptive Love
(I John 3:1-3)
- John clearly identified this cap-stone of salvation requesting particular attention to it.
- A proper recognition of this incredible blessing and privilege should change your life.
- For more about adoptions as God’s sons.
- For more about predestinated adoption.
Accepted in the Beloved
- The issue on Judgment Day is God’s acceptance of us, not our acceptance of Christ.
- From this foundation blessing in Christ, Paul pressed Ephesus to walk well (Ep 4:1-3).
- For more about accepted and adopted.
Imputation or Representation
(Rom 5:12-19; I Cor 15:22)
- Why do babies die? Because Adam’s sin was imputed to them as their representative.
- How do we avoid the terrible curse of original sin? By the Second Adam’s obedience!
- For many more details of this glorious contrast.
One Man Mediator Found
(Rev 5:1-5; I Tim 2:5)
- John wept because no man could be found anywhere to open the book of the covenant.
- God raised up the Lion of Judah, David’s Root, to open the book and loose its seals.
(Is 7:14; 9:6-7 Jer 31:22; Matt 1:18; Luke 1:28-35; 2:8-14)
- Consider this glorious sign that God gave to Israel of a virgin-born, God in the flesh.
- His names and everlasting kingdom on the throne of David would be by God’s zeal!
Tree of Life Restored
(Rev 2:7; 22:2,14)
- Our first parents rejected the tree of life and then were kept from it (Genesis 3:22-24).
- God sent Jesus Christ to recover free access to it from which we shall eat in heaven.
Kings and Priests
(Rev 1:6; 5:10)
- The loftiest title on earth, no matter how great you are, is nothing in comparison here.
- Let us live like we are reigning with Christ, and we should offer acceptable sacrifices.
- In case you want more about your offices.
Inner Circle in Heaven
- God sits on His throne in heaven with Christ next to Him and us in Christ’s throne.
- Outside us are our servants the angels; outside them are all creatures in the universe.
- In case you need details of this great work.
Mock Death and Grave
(I Cor 15:51-57)
- God has so demolished the claim of death on us that we can mock it in joyful victory.
- But the context holds the inevitable and consequential claim to our abundant labors.
- For more of resurrection in I Cor 15.
(Col 2:15; Heb 2:14; Jas 4:7; II Pet 2:4; I Jn 3:8; Jude 1:6; Rev 12:9-10)
- He defeated our first parents in Eden, but the Seed of the woman returned the favor!
- So thorough is the victory that we can stand in God’s might and force Satan to flee.
- About the Stronger Man.
(Luke 10:19; Acts 19:13-20; Rom 16:20; Eph 6:10-20; Rev 20:1-3)
- The Man Christ Jesus so thoroughly defeated Satan that we can and will defeat him.
- The devils know perfectly well Jesus is coming to torment them in hell (Matt 8:29).
- The Triumph of Jesus Christ.
(Rom 8:17-19; I Pet 1:3-5; Rev 21:7)
- We are joint-heirs with Jesus Christ of glory that transcends all earthly comparisons.
- The only evidence that we have of such a will and testament is walking by the Spirit.
- For Redemption and Inheritance.
Body Resurrection & Glorification
(Phil 3:20-21; Rom 8:17-23,29-30)
- Your vile body, decaying as you listen or read, will be glorified by His great power.
- He simply asks us to give these corrupt bodies a living sacrifice to Him (Rom 12:1-2).
- Creation Groaning.
New Heaven and Earth
(II Pet 3:10-14)
- The whole creation groans and travails under the burden and pain of corruption by sin.
- But God shall do a great work of melting it all with fervent heat to make a new one.
Not One Lost or Plucked Out
(John 6:39; 10:28-29; Rom 8:35-39)
- God by Jesus Christ absolutely secured eternal life for all His children without loss.
- With such a guarantee by our Surety, we should be unhindered by fear to serve Him.
Gift of the Holy Ghost
(Acts 2:33; John 7:39; Rom 5:5; 8:15; Gal 4:6)
- Jesus Christ obtained spoils for His great victory – the presence of God Himself in us.
- If we grasp this work and gift, we will not grieve or quench (Eph 4:30; I Thess 5:19).
Saved By Childbearing
(I Tim 2:15; Gen 3:15; Jer 31:22)
- What God cursed because of the devil’s victory over Eve turned to be her salvation!
- The evidence of women thus saved are continuing in faith, charity, holiness, sobriety.
Angels Are Impressed
(I Pet 1:12; Eph 3:10)
- They announced His birth, attended Him in His ministry, and received Him to heaven.
- God planned salvation to show them His great wisdom, and they desire to look into it.
(I Cor 6:1-3)
- How can this juxtaposition of authority, glory, power be made but by God in Christ!
- If we shall thus judge angels, surely we can gently and wisely work out least things.
Rich to Poor to Rich
(II Cor 8:9)
- God’s grace through Jesus Christ was for Him to become poor to make poor you rich.
- This incredibly merciful transaction or trade for us should cause us to do it for others.
Gentiles Are David’s Tabernacle
(Acts 15:16; Rom 15:8-12; Eph 2:11-22; 3:1-8)
- The kingdom of David, God’s church at its best under the O.T., is now of us Gentiles.
- We Gentiles, undeserving and grafted in, owe humility and faith (Romans 11:17-22).
Life Trumps Death
(Rom 5:10; 8:34; Heb 7:25)
- God did a great work by the death of Jesus Christ, but even more by His life above!
- Do you understand that Jesus sits next to the Judge of all to guarantee your salvation?
You Need a Lawyer
(I Tim 2:5; Job 9:33; I John 2:1)
- You are condemned by Adam, by your own sins, and by your wicked, sinful nature.
- God appointed His only begotten Son as your lawyer and to pay the penalty of death!
- For your need of a Lawyer.
Revelation 2-3 Gifts
(Rev 2:7,11,17,26-28; 3:5,12,21)
- Jesus Christ promised the seven churches of Asia great, special gifts for overcoming.
- The offered or promised gifts were to motivate them to overcome this world for Him.
(I Cor 2:9)
- Man has not seen, nor heard, nor imagined the things God has prepared for His sons.
- But God has revealed them to us by His Spirit by the words of revelation (I Cor 2:13).
(Matt 1:3,5-6; Mark 16:9)
- The genealogy of Jesus Christ has four women – Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, and Bathsheba.
- Our resurrected Lord appeared first – before the apostles – to Mary Magdalene. Glory!
- How can we measure salvation? … Wisdom … Power … Perpetuity … Person … Security? Glory!
- It is altogether unsearchable and unspeakable (Ep 3:8; II Co 9:15). Truly… What hath God wrought!
- Paul reasoned logically and powerfully that we owe much service for Christ’s death (II Cor 5:14-15).
- Jesus warned the Sardis church their works were not perfect before God (Rev 3:1-6; 2:1-5; 3:14-22).
- Paul was bound to give thanks for the Thessalonians; what of them for themselves (II Thes 2:13-14)?
- We should boast in God for all He has done for us, as the Gadarene did (Ps 34:1-3; Mark 5:19-20).
For Further Study:
- Sermon Outline: Unsearchable Riches of Christ.
- Sermon Outline: Facets of Salvation.
- Sermon Outline: The Glory of the Cross.
- Sermon Outline: The Glory of the Cross.
- Sermon Outline: Great Mystery of Godliness.
- Sermon Outline: Great Things of God.
- Sermon Outline: What a Word Is This!
- Sermon Outline: Six Things Determined.
- Sermon Outline: He Is Altogether Lovely.