Fat and Happy
“My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.”
- David was in the wilderness far from the sanctuary of God’s house and public worship (63:1-2).
- God’s lovingkindness was better than life to him, so David intended to bless the Lord (63:3-4).
- He knew he could be encouraged and strengthened greatly by meditating on the Lord (63:5-6).
- David knew the Lord had helped him and would help him, so he joyfully sought Him hard (63:7-8).
- David was confident God would make a huge difference between him and his enemies (63:9-11).
My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness;
- The issue at hand is soul satisfaction, not satisfaction of your flesh or body by circumstances.
- Satisfaction is the condition of peaceful contentment, satiety, and having no desires or wants.
- If your soul is not satisfied, nothing in life will bring pleasure or joy, no matter your trying.
- The underlying cause of all human problems is spiritual, not physical or psychological.
- Drug addiction, divorce, depression, drunkenness, dysfunctional living, and other mental, emotional, and psychological problems prove man’s empty soul in need of satisfaction.
- Marrow is the rich fatty tissue that grows in the center of a bone and forms a great delicacy.
- Fatness is the condition of expensive meat that makes it fully satisfying and most delicious.
- It is possible to have your soul as satisfied as your body after a great meal of delicious meat.
- David was confident that soul satisfaction was easily obtainable by the means of verse six.
And my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
- When your soul is fully satisfied, there will be overflowing happiness that comes to the lips.
- What causes your mouth and lips to want to joyfully speak praise? Because your soul is full!
- A merry heart, especially one merry with the Lord, will always come to the face (Pr 15:13).
- A Spirit-filled heart, one finding its joy in the Lord Jesus Christ, will want to sing (Eph 5:19).
- The LORD and Jesus Christ are the greatest objects of joy (43:4; 73:25-26; Hag 3:17-19).
When I remember thee upon my bed,
- Though far from home, and in a strange bed, David chose this quiet place to remember God.
- David made his bed a place of fellowship with God and worship to God (Ps 42:8; 119:55).
- It is in bed when you are free from all the distractions and interruption of others and duties.
- Instead of letting your mind wander about business or sinful fantasies, remember God.
- David knew how to encourage himself in the Lord, which he did at Ziklag (I Samuel 30:6).
- You can only remind yourself of things to remember that you have learned very well before.
- You must read and study God’s word to learn it well and hide its treasures in your heart.
And meditate on thee in the night watches.
- Meditating on your spouse, family, job, house, or anything else is totally worthless; try God.
- Remembering is only the first step to soul satisfaction; the second step is to meditate on Him.
- Meditation is careful and slow thinking about a thing’s details to delight in its many features.
- God and His word are inexhaustible subjects, which the human heart will never fully explore.
- David spoke of communing with his heart in the night (4:4; 77:6; 119:147-148; 143:4-6).
- Why go to bed with business, television, the news, or a novel on your mind? Muse on God.
- Why send children to bed thinking of homework, television, or games? Tell them about God.
- What do you delight in about God? His attributes? Son? Works? Words? Spirit? People? Salvation?
- We want a relationship with God more than just the religion of God, but both in order is perfection.
- God has saved us, but He also offers a relationship of fellowship to those seeking Him (Rev 3:20).
- If you go home tonight and putter around, have a snack, check the news, and then go to bed, you lose.
- Before you go to bed, take a few minutes to learn and remember something about God to meditate on.
- Once in bed, before you fall to sleep, meditate about the Lord and talk to Him as to your best Friend.
- A habit of these activities will bring soul satisfaction into your life and joyful praise to your lips.