Joining the Church of Greenville
Church membership is a mutual commitment, compact, or covenant between the members of a church to stand united in the doctrine of Jesus Christ and serve one another in the duties described in the New Testament. These example questions are to be reviewed in private with the pastor, and they are to be asked in front of the congregation as part of the public commitment to be church members.
1. Do you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God?
2. Have you been baptized by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ by an ordained Baptist minister after believing the gospel?
3. Do you believe He is the only Saviour from sin and your only hope of eternal life?
4. Do you believe the gift of eternal life is only by the sovereign grace and choice of God through the life, death, and life of Jesus Christ?
5. Do you love the Lord Jesus Christ and want to spend the rest of your life following Him, serving Him, and obeying Him zealously?
6. As far as you know, from what you have heard and observed, do you agree with the doctrine taught and practiced by this church?
7. Does this include the doctrines of election and predestination, and that regeneration precedes belief of the gospel and conversion?
8. Will you love these people, serve them, forgive them, and allow them their Christian liberties as you have opportunity?
9. Will you submit to them in matters of personal judgment, if a case ever arises, as found in Matt 18:15-17 and I Corinthians 6:1-8?
10. Will you submit to the pastor in areas for which he is responsible, such as defining gray areas and ruling in subjective issues?
11. Will you strive to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace by being peacemakers and rejecting bitterness and strife?
12. Will you faithfully assemble with us and strive to perfect this church for the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ?
13. Will you support the church, the pastor, our evangelistic efforts, and the poor through your financial giving according to God’s word?
14. Will you seek to walk close to the Lord and maintain a holy and spiritual life to be a spiritual asset to this church?
15. Will you remember that the church is where you love and serve others more than where you are loved and served by others?