We are studying the present reality of the kingdom of God, and it behooves us as men to see what the Bible teaches about our duties in this kingdom, lest we fail to please our King.
“As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.”
I Thessalonians 2:11-12
- Do right – righteousness is keeping God’s definitions at all times (Rom 14:17).
- This should be your great priority, your great topic, and great concern (Prov 16:8,13,25).
- Words do not cut it, because neither God nor men care for them: actions work (Pr 20:11).
- Make peace – do whatever it takes to get along with everyone (Rom 14:17).
- The wisdom that is from above is based in righteous peacemaking (James 3:17-18).
- Peacemakers are God’s true children and blessed through greatly (Ps 34:12-14; Matt 5:9).
- Be happy – live a contented and victorious life over speed bumps (Rom 14:17).
- A continual feast is your choice to serve God and bear spiritual fruit (Pr 15:15; Gal 5:22).
- Who in the world will ask of the hope in you, unless victoriously happy (I Peter 3:15)?
- Worship reverently – use His grace to serve Him with godly fear (Heb 12:28).
- The greatest duty and pleasure are to delight in God (Job 22:21; Ps 34:7; Jer 9:23-24).
- We can oppose the compromise of contemporary Christianity (II Tim 3:1-5; 4:3-4).
- Integrate all – accept all kinds, realizing God has chosen all (James 2:5).
- There are no distinctions of any kind – blood is thicker than all (Gal 3:28; Col 3:11).
- Division within the ranks destroys armies, cities, and kingdoms (Luke 11:15; Gal 5:15).
- Suffer bravely – bear persecution as John on Patmos (Rev 1:9; II Thess 1:5).
- Do you pray in public, speak up about truth, oppose vanity, and defend Christians?
- Are you ashamed of the name of Jesus Christ or the Bible at all? Talk of them openly!
- Be a helper – Paul had three fellowworkers for kingdom projects (Col 4:11).
- You can pray, take care of church needs, volunteer, testify, and give (Eph 6:19; Phil 4:3).
- When you can assist any minister in anything, you are a fellowhelper (III John 1:5-8).
- Reject error – stand against and earnestly oppose attacks on truth (Col 1:13).
- Consider Phinehas, Nehemiah, and Jesus (Num 25:6-15; Neh 13:23-27; John 2:12-17).
- Crush backbiters, warn the unruly, and train children (Pr 25:23; I Thes 5:14; Is 38:19).
- Show it – live visibly like a devoted citizen (I Cor 6:9-10; Gal 5:21; Ep 5:5).
- Are you a shining light and living epistle in the world (Mat 5:16; II Cor 3:1-3; I Pe 2:12)?
- Are you growing, that is, growing, in favor with God and men (Luke 2:52; Prov 27:17)?
- Start moving – be a bold doer of the word, not a hearer or talker (I Cor 4:20).
- It is a disgrace to you and a stumblingblock to others to just be a hearer (James 1:18-27).
- Zeal in a good thing is a good thing, but zeal only counts in action (Gal 4:18; Ps 119:60).