The Consequences of Sin
32 Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. 33 Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. 34 Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. 35 For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD. 36 But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.”
- Sin is the transgression of the law of God: it is doing things your way instead of God’s way (I Jn 3:4).
- He has all wisdom, and He has revealed it to us; if you want to do things your way, get ready for pain.
- The great and dreadful God of the Bible created you, and He can do with you as He sees fit in His perfect holiness and justice for your rebellion against Him and His word and your perversion of life.
- You sin six different ways – commission thought, word, or deed; omission thought, word, or deed.
- The devil tempts you by three different avenues – lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and pride of life.
- Your heart since Eden is depraved and lies to you more than anyone you will ever meet (Jer 17:9).
- Regardless of what your heart tells you when you sin, you will get caught and punished (Num 32:23).
- You will only get so many warnings, and then the holy and just God of heaven will strike (Pr 29:1)!
- If you have gotten away with sin so far, God is tricking you (Ps 50:21-23; Eccl 8:11-12; Rom 2:4-5).
- 10. The only source of truth defining sin, condemning sin, and describing its punishment is the Bible.
- Sin has a more profound effect on human existence than any other factor, but it is ignored by most.
- The following facts are never taught in school, newspapers, television, or any place but true churches.
- Your life can be hell before going to hell, if you ignore or reject God’s word (Pr 13:15; 22:5).
- There is more than one way to die – physical death would be a relief from other deaths!
- If we consider a few examples, we can see terrible consequences in this life for sin.
- The man who marries an unbeliever or an odious woman will suffer for the rest of his life.
- God has clearly spoken against both (Prov 11:22; 30:21-23; 31:30; I Cor 7:39; 11:11)!
- A woman who does not fear God, tremble before Scripture, or love Christ will ruin you, as surely as Jezebel and Pharaoh’s daughter corrupted their men. It does not matter how agreeable or beautiful she is, you will never have a real marriage like you could have.
- A woman lacking in graciousness will become your worst nightmare, even if she is a baptized believer in your church (Prov 12:4; 19:13; 21:9,19; 25:14; 27:15-16; Eccl 7:26).
- Try marriage your way – a modern partnership – you are going to regret you ever married!
- God invented marriage, and He ordained for the woman to obey and reverence the man.
- For every controversy, there must be a decision-maker, who is viewed as the authority.
- If you ignore or reject the word of God regarding your children, they will shame you later.
- An untrained child brings his mother to shame and father to grief (Pr 17:21,25; 29:15,17).
- Eli was destroyed and his family tree annihilated by God for his laxness in child training.
- David had enough trouble from children to shame him and cause great pain in his heart.
- Casual sex will ruin you ten different ways before killing you and sending your soul to hell.
- Four times God links casual sex as the cause of death and hell (Pr 2:18; 5:5; 7:27; 9:18)!
- Job considered the consequences of adultery to be heinous and painful (Job 31:9-12).
- Do you think you can commit this sin and not be burned by consequences (Pr 6:27-28)?
- But before that, you will be defrauded by the whore, lose your reputation, undermine your profession, have an unplanned child, no longer be a virgin, encounter angry spouses, ruin your legitimate family, catch a sexual disease, waste your savings, live with guilt, have to tell your future spouse, destroy marital sexual pleasure, and so on!
- If you will not rule your consumption of wine, then you will suffer immediately and later!
- The fool with a terrible hangover caused his own vertigo and vomiting (Prov 23:29-35).
- But there is more to come for the drunkard (Gen 9:21; 19:32; Pr 23:21; 31:5; I Cor 5:11)!
- If you love to play ball excessively, then the law of God will eventually take you down.
- It does not matter what size, pinball, golf balls, tennis balls, basketballs, or beach balls!
- Your reputation will be reduced to a child, and your savings to an NSF (Pr 21:17,20)!
- Defraud your husband … but a bitter man, resentful children, or adultery is coming soon.
- Sneak a peak at pornography … inflamed lusts, sexual dysfunction, and shame will come.
- Do not pay your bills on time … no credit and a miserable financial existence are coming.
- Talk a lot … and no one will want you as a friend, trust you with secrets, or promote you.
- All the addictions of life begin by a single compromise of God’s word regarding wine, strong drink, fornication, pornography, slothfulness, gambling, etc., etc.
- Sin does not end or quit on its own; it demands more and more sin, just like drugs, pornography, or other things (Gen 13:12; Prov 5:22-23; Heb 3:12-13; Jas 1:13-16).
- Sin is deceitful and blinding, so you will have a twisted perspective on most everything when compared to God, His word, and His saints (Heb 3:12-13).
- The choice of the word “depression” is to represent all the internal, soul consequences of sin.
- A child of God cannot be happy while allowing any sin in his life – so get used to frustration!
- David described the condition of guilt and shame for sin as a pain (Ps 31:10; 32:3-4; 38:3).
- The unhappiest people on earth are carnal Christians, opposing the Spirit and themselves.
- Disillusionment with God, the Bible, church, and the saints is caused by playing with sin, which destroys faith in God’s promises and fellowship with God’s Spirit.
- A child of God will be so frustrated and pained by guilt and discontentment that nothing will satisfy and the best of earthly pleasures will ring hollow as vain and vexing substitutes.
- Sin will not let you be independently happy with the Lord: it will demand constant feeding!
- Sin gives place to the devil, and he will viciously destroy you from the inside out (Eph 4:27).
- The devil will flee, when you resist him, but sinning is not part of resisting (James 4:7)!
- Consider Judas’s final hours after giving the devil place in his life (Matt 27:3-10; Acts 1:18).
- As I have reminded you before, he is Apollyon and Abaddon – the destroyer (Rev 19:11).
- Consider the conduct and suffering of those he possesses (Job 1:12-19; 2:7; I Samuel 16:14-23; Mark 5:1-20; 9:20-22,32-33; Luke 8:2; 13:11-16; Revelation 18:2).
- You will hinder and steal God’s blessings from others by your Achan presence in the camp!
- If you sin, God will not hear your prayers, so religion and worship are ruined (Job 27:8-9; Ps 66:18; Prov 1:24-30; 15:8,29; 28:9; Is 1:15; 59:1-2; John 9:31; James 4:3).
- Observe that in Proverbs 1:24-30, sins of omission are included as causes for this denial.
- Observe that in I Peter 3:7, it is merely disrespecting your wife that is the cause for denial.
- The true joy of a Christian is lost due to broken fellowship with God (Ps 51:8; I John 1:4-10).
- You grieve and quench the Spirit’s power in life for faith and fruit (Eph 4:30; I Thess 5:19).
- God’s chastening can be horrific; just ask Israel of the Old Testament (I Cor 10:6-10); even His fatherly chastening is compared to scourging in the New Testament (Heb 12:5-11).
- If God lightly esteems you, it is terrible, just ask Eli, whose family tree was ripped to shreds.
- You will be blinded and unable to see the truth, because He despises those with idols in their hearts, and He promised Israel He would deceive the prophets they sought unto (Eze 14:6-9).
- Prayers and good works will be rejected, for sin corrupts everything you do (Hag 2:10-14).
DISEASE & SICKNESS
- Before you get to die … yes, that is right! … get to die, you will wallow in misery and pain.
- Ever watch a person take a whole year to lose weight and die of cancer and chemotheraphy?
- Asa was diseased grievously for the last two years of his life before death (II Chr 16:12-13).
- What do you think about the honor God showed Herod the sinner (Acts 12:23)? Worms?!
- Ask Corinth about weakness – you can forget CFS or its cures; sickly – you can forget vitamins; or untimely death – you can forget exercise and alternative medicine (I Cor 11:30).
- A visit to a cancer ward or a retirement home can remind you of the stinking end of all flesh.
- Just remember something this simple … dishonoring your parents reduces life expectancy, no matter how faithfully you might exercise, eat wisely, and take supplements!
DEATH & DYING
- God promised instant spiritual death, delayed bodily death, and ultimate eternal death to Adam and his posterity for a single sin of rather limited significance – to us (Gen 2:17).
- Men have died physically ever since Adam due to this single sin of Adam (Romans 5:12-14).
- The wages of sin is death; the soul that sins shall die; every man is appointed to die; there is no discharge in this war (Rom 6:23; Ezek 18:4,20; Heb 9:27; Eccl 8:8).
- The decline and degeneration of human faculties is from sin (I Kings 1:1-4; Eccl 12:1-8).
- The corruption of the human body from beautiful and gifted to ugly and stinking is only sin.
- The world is full of insane idiocy about evolution, for if evolution could take a chaotic explosion of gases to life with reproductive power, then it could have evolved away death!
- God has prepared a special place for sinners, where they will be tormented forever and ever.
- There is spiritual death you are born with, bodily death you die with, and then eternal death!
- The second death is far worse than the death most fear! A lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15)!
- The worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched (Mk 9:43-48). Drops of water are not sold!
- Jesus Christ offers life and life more abundant, free from dysfunction and the rest (Jn 10:10).
- Jesus Christ sends His wholesome words, which can save you from dysfunctional living.
- Jesus Christ sends His Spirit, which can save you from depression and give you great joy.
- Jesus Christ has destroyed the devil, so that in His strength you can resist and defeat him.
- Jesus Christ has opened up a new way to God as your high priest to avoid any denial at all.
- Jesus Christ healed all manner of disease and sickness on earth, and He can heal you now.
- Jesus Christ destroyed death and has purchased immortality for you. Death now is only sleep.
- Jesus Christ washed you from your sins by His blood and your name is in the book of life.
- The gift of God is eternal life (and functional joy and wellness) through Christ (Rom 6:23).
- Therefore, I call on every man, woman, and child to turn from sin and wickedness before it is too late.
- Therefore, I call on every one hearing me to flee to Jesus Christ for deliverance before it is too late.
- I can say to you, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved from coming damnation.”
- But I can also say to you, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you can be saved from pain now”!
For further study:
- Sermon Outline: “Delusions of Deceived Christians,” clearly identifies and corrects excuses to justify sin.
- Sermon Outline: “Incremental Compromise,” explains how habitual and terrible sins start with compromise.
- Sermon Outline: “Playing with Sin,” describes the horrible consequences of compromising like Lot.
- Sermon Outline: “Be Sure Your Sin Will Find You Out,” proves that you cannot get away with sinning.
- Sermon Outline: “Eternal Life Is a Gift,” proves that death is terrible and God must give eternal life freely.
- Sermon Outline: “The Forgiveness of Sins,” comforts sinners with great forgiveness through Jesus Christ.
- Sermon Outline: “Jesus Loves Losers,” comforts great sinners that there is no sin to great for the Lord.
- Sermon Outline: “Starting Over,” explains that sinners can start over with a clean slate with God any day.
- Proverb Commentary: “Proverbs 13:15,” teaches how hard the way of transgressors can actually be.
- Proverb Commentary: “Proverbs 22:5,” teaches how thorns and thistles in life are the result of your sins.