Abortion: The Blood of the Innocent
“The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. For the needy shall not alway be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever. Arise, O LORD; let not man prevail: let the heathen be judged in thy sight. Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah.”
I. The HISTORY OF ABORTION Considers Abortion Up to the Present Situation in America.
A. Abortion is not a recent invention. It has been done for thousands of years; but it has never been as generally available, easily accomplished, and socially acceptable.
B. Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Nazi Germany practiced abortion and infanticide.
C. Until 1967 all States prohibited abortion for any cause from the time of conception.
D. There are over 1.5 million abortions annually in America and over 50 million worldwide.
E. Chemical compounds are being formulated with urgency to make child murder even easier.
II. The LEGALITY OF ABORTION Deals with the 1973 Supreme Court Decision Roe v. Wade.
A. On January 22, 1973, the United States Supreme Court decided that no State could prohibit abortion on demand. Abortions up to the time of birth simply needed an approving physician that health, psychological, or social reasons called for it.
B. The Supreme Court was deciding the fate of Norma McCorvey (Jane Roe) who claimed she was raped and denied an abortion under Texas law. By the time of Roe v. Wade, Ms. McCorvey had already given birth to the child and placed the child for adoption. In 1987 she admitted that she had lied regarding the rape.
C. The Supreme Court refused to consider the issue of when life life begins in the womb claiming it to be an unanswerable dilemma of science and theology. The fact is that science has concluded without dissenting opinion that life begins at conception.
D. The Court decided that a woman’s “right to privacy” gave her the full authority to kill her own baby; and it decided the baby was not a legal person deserving legal protection.
E. The Court decided that a father has no legal right to protect the child he has fathered in his wife’s womb. She can have it killed over and against his protest.
F. Consider our Declaration of Independence that stated, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”
III. The BASIS OF ABORTION Is the Religious and Philosophical Revolution Justifying this Crime.
A. With the removal of God as our Creator, our society is now established on human rights.
1. It has been accomplished primarily by a weak and ignorant ministry and a concerted propaganda effort by our education system.
2. Our educational system will teach twelve year olds that abortion is an option for sexual responsibility, but it will deny any teaching of creation as an option of origin.
3. Everything today is spoken of as rights. There is the right to work, the right to education, the right to rent, the right to freedom, and so forth.
B. Modern women argue ignorantly, “Every woman has the right to control her own body.”
1. From conception the fertilized ovum is no more a part of the woman’s body than is a nursing infant at the breast or a test tube baby is part of a petri dish.
2. A woman does not have the right to control her own body. God gave her body to her, and she owes Him and His rulers – fathers and husbands – its control.
3. Women do not have any right whatsoever to destroy another living human being.
4. Consider that 50% of all aborted babies are women who might question this folly.
IV. The CAUSE OF ABORTION Covers the Reasons Leading People to Murder Their Babies.
A. Selfishness is a great cause of abortion. Men and women have so improved their self-love and self-images without God that they cannot easily think well of others.
1. When a career is in jeopardy because of a pregnancy, the little child must die.
2. When a mother’s body might be altered by a pregnancy, the little child must die.
3. When the thought of more child training is considered, the little child must die.
B. Sex is a great cause of abortion. We live in a fornicating generation that does not want to live responsible sexual lives or sexual lives with any responsibility.
1. When a whore “gets caught” with a pregnancy, she must get rid of the nuisance.
2. If “safe sex” fails due to irresponsibility, there is always the backup of abortion.
3. Boys informed of a girl’s pregnancy can pay for an abortion rather than marriage.
C. Success is a great cause of abortion. Careers and high living standards are protected.
1. Instead of simple lives at home with children, women assume career plans like men.
2. Instead of living moderately, many families cannot live on just the husband’s wages.
D. Our nation has spawned a generation of hardhearted women that neither love the home, children, or a man. It is the perversion of the natural affections of women (Rom 1:31).
E. Our nation has spawned a generation of weak men that will not and cannot take their rightful authority and dictate the terms of life, sex, reproduction, children, careers, and so forth to women (Isaiah 3:1-5,12).
V. The MEANS OF ABORTION Are those Methods Used in America Today to Kill Little Babies.
A. The different methods of abortion generally reflect the different stages of pregnancy.
B. METHOD #1: Suction: the baby is torn to pieces and sucked through a hose in the womb.
C. METHOD #2: Saline: the baby is poisoned and burned before the mother goes into labor.
D. METHOD #3: D & E: the baby is torn apart piece by piece with forceps and removed.
E. METHOD #4: D & C: the baby is cut apart piece by piece with a curette and removed.
F. METHOD #5: Prostaglandin: the baby is forcibly rejected by the uterus with strong labor.
G. METHOD #6: Digoxin: the baby’s heart stops beating when the drug is injected into it.
H. METHOD #7: Hysterotomy: the baby is taken by Caesarian section to be killed.
I. METHOD #8: Chemical: RU-486 and ZK-98-734 are illegal drugs that work neat abortions.
J. It is important to mention here that IUD’s, “morning after” pills, some birth control pills, and current in vitrio practices involve abortions.
K. It is the silence about these methods and their affects on both the mother and the baby that is a chief support to the abortion industry.
VI. The SIN OF ABORTION Presents the Law of God Protecting the Unborn from Murderers.
A. God specifically condemns harm to unborn children in His perfect law (Exodus 21:22-25).
1. The case considered here is physical violence to a pregnant woman resulting in premature labor and birth or a miscarriage. Her fruit departing from her has no inference of the death of the child. It simply describes the child leaving her body.
2. Consider well that the case here is not necessarily malicious. The men striving with each other might just as easily harm the woman and her child accidentally.
3. The lack of any qualification for the mischief that could follow applies it to both the woman and the child.
4. Carefully read that God describes a pregnant woman as a “woman with child” (21:22).
5. Consider that the value of the life of the unborn baby equals that of its mother.
6. Observe that the husband determines the judgment, since the children are his (21:22).
B. Miscellaneous Aspects of God’s Mind that Condemn the Murder of Helpless Children.
1. Conception is clearly the sovereign act of Almighty God (Genesis 4:1; 21:1-2; 25:21; 29:31-35; 30:1-2; 30:3-6; 30:14-20; 30:22-24; Exodus 23:26; Deuteronomy 7:14; Judges 13:1-3; Ruth 4:13; I Samuel 1:5-6; 1:19-20; 2:20-21; II Kings 4:8-17; Psalm 29:9; 113:9; 127:3; 128:1-4; Luke 1:13-20). Should we destroy God’s work?
2. God condemns the taking of another life on the grounds that man was created in His image. The life of a human being is more precious than a beast’s (Gen 9:6; Jas 3:9).
3. We are God’s offspring; He has given us life; we must not destroy it (Acts 17:24-29).
4. God forms the spirit of man within him and neither at viability or birth (Zech 12:1).
5. Jesus Christ was formed by supernatural conception rather than supernatural delivery.
VII. The MURDER OF ABORTION Proves that Life Begins at Conception and not any other Time.
A. From the moment of conception the fertilized egg or zygote is a unique human being.
1. Medical science has universally concluded that conception begins each human life.
2. A fertilized ovum is a complete human being because nothing is ever added to it.
3. The fertilized ovum is a completely different human life from that of the mother.
a. It may have a different blood type. One body cannot have two blood types.
b. It may be male with a different sex. One body cannot be both male and female.
c. It has a different set of skin that cannot receive or give grafts to its mother.
d. It has an entirely separate genetic code dictating all of its characteristics.
e. It has its own heartbeat, brain waves, fingerprints, DNA structure, etc.
4. If human life begins at conception, then abortion is the killing of a human life.
5. The Chinese have traditionally considered a child one year old at birth for this life.
B. There must be recognition of the potential carried in every life and progeny cut off.
1. God claims Levi paid tithes in Abraham by merely being in his loins (Hebrews 7:9-10).
2. God claims two nations struggled within Rebekah’s womb before birth (Gen 25:19-23).
3. God has charged us to declare His truth for the children yet to come (Psalm 78:5-8).
C. God’s consideration of the unborn should prevail over all other inferior considerations.
1. God recognized the twins struggling in Rebekah’s womb as CHILDREN (Gen 25:22).
2. God foretold what the King of Syria would do to women with CHILD (II Kings 8:12).
3. Job spoke of his own conception as being the conception of a MAN CHILD (Job 3:3).
4. God spoke of a pregnant woman approaching delivery as with CHILD (Isaiah 26:17).
5. God considered the six-month-old “fetus” in Elizabeth’s to be her SON (Luke 1:36).
D. Consider the properties and relationships that God gives the unborn child in Scripture.
1. God is responsible for forming children in the womb (Job 10:8-12; 31:15; Ps 119:73).
2. God takes providential care of the unborn from their very conception (Ps 139:13-16).
a. God “covers” us with His providential care and protection even in the womb.
b. God was knowledgeable of David’s curious development in a very secret place.
c. God cared for David when only a zygote, blastocyst, or unformed embryo.
d. God’s book detailed how David would grow before he had visible members.
e. Consider with all care and reverence the development of David from a zygote to a blastocyst to an embryo to a fetus – from a lump of cells without any members such as arms and legs to a fully developed and easily identifiable baby (139:16).
f. Abigail described God’s providential care around David (I Sam 25:29).
3. God ordained Jeremiah to the ministry before he left his mother’s womb (Jer 1:5).
4. He gave His Spirit to John the Baptist at the most 26 weeks after conception (Luke 1:15), and he was able to leap for joy by this Spirit (Luke 1:41-44).
E. God hates abortionists, since they are guilty of innocent blood (Proverbs 6:16-19).
F. Using Scripture to justify abortion must by definition be a wresting of such Scripture.
1. The “time of life” cannot mean the time until life is present but rather the time of human gestation for an independent life (Genesis 18:10,14; II Kings 4:16-17).
2. The “breath of life” cannot mean that breathing is required for life but rather that God creatively breathed independent life into Adam (Gen 2:7 cp John 20:22).
3. The “life of the flesh is in the blood” cannot mean an unborn child is not living until it has blood but rather blood nourishes and evidences life (Gen 9:4; Lev 17:10-14). The heart begins beating in a child 18 to 25 days after conception, and they have their own blood with a different blood type at about 45 days.
G. Confusing abortion with miscarriages is completely false, since one is the act of a righteous God and the other of a selfish and wicked sinner.
1. God is absolutely righteous in his determination of whether an unborn child shall live in this world or not. He is just as perfect in His doings as when He determines the illnesses or death of born children and adults. Medical science has confirmed that most miscarriages are due to deficiencies either in the child or the placenta.
2. It is our duty to do our reasonable best in caring for each and every pregnancy.
H. Abortion is not only murder: it is usually intentional, premeditated torture and murder of an innocent, helpless baby.
I. Consider the care that God took for even kids of goats that we might eat (Ex 23:19).
VIII.The PERVERSITY OF ABORTION Considers Arguments Showing Our Generation to Be Insane.
A. God would compare a mother who aborts her baby to the ostrich for perverse stupidity.
1. God described the ostrich as an example of a creature that is stupid (Job 39:13-18).
2. The female ostrich is perversely stupid since she is hardened against her own young.
a. This is contrary to nature in that other species show great care for their young.
b. She treats her eggs as if they did not belong to her but to some other bird.
c. She lays her eggs in vanity without any purpose. Neither does she fear for them.
d. She simply drops them in the dust of the earth without nest or other protection.
3. Observe that God attributes to fertilized ostrich eggs the term of “young.”
a. The fertilized eggs are her young: they are not extraneous growths like tonsils.
b. The fertilized eggs are her young: they are not “the product of conception.”
c. The fertilized eggs are her young: they are not “potential ostriches.”
d. The fertilized eggs are her young even though they are not yet “viable.”
4. Sea monsters care for their young, but ostriches and some women do not (Lam 4:3).
B. Our society is particularly perverse due to its contradictory emphasis on charity.
1. Massive efforts are made to feed starving babies in other parts of the world where parents choose to starve and have unlimited births.
2. Prenatal care is State supported and highly promoted for mothers’ unborn children.
3. Animals and birds are protected at great expense and with great emotion from harm or extinction i.e. whales, seals, spotted owls, dolphins, snail darters, etc.
a. Dogs have more rights and protection than unborn children in our generation.
b. Ever thought about crushing a bald eagle’s egg? Think again. You could be fined and imprisoned for destroying a “potential” dumb bird, but you can be paid and protected for torturing and killing “potential” human beings.
4. Born children are protected from all sorts of petty harm in this “gentle and caring” age. Spanking, harnesses, yelling, funerals, and work are all condemned for children.
5. Our society finding plastic bags of mutiliated babies would want the plastic recycled.
6. Abortion protesters are generally despised for picketing an abortion chamber, but ecological anarchists are glorified for shutting down nuclear reactors and so forth.
7. Conception has usually been a great blessing, but it is now a burden (Prov 30:15-16).
C. Consider the euphemisms used to cover the perversity of abortion and its affects.
1. Killing a baby by mutilating it slowly is described as terminating a pregnancy.
2. Torture and death chambers for babies are called women’s clinics and health clinics.
3. The right to kill a baby slowly and painfully if I don’t like it is called pro-choice.
4. The organization driving the wicked murder of babies is called Planned Parenthood.
5. The baby itself is called the product of conception, fetus ex utero, fetal tissue, etc.
6. Eliminating these and other euphemistic terms for the murder of children must end.
IX. The JUDGEMENT OF ABORTION Presents the God of Heaven as the Avenger of Such Babies.
A. God hears and sees all innocent blood and is the avenger of all such innocent persons.
1. God heard the cry of righteous Abel’s blood, which Cain had shed (Genesis 4:8-12).
2. God saw the innocent blood of Naboth shed by Ahab and Jezebel (II Kings 9:24-26).
3. God makes inquisition for blood, and He remembers the cry of the humble (Ps 9:12).
4. God delivers those with no helpers and their blood is precious to Him (Ps 72:12-15).
5. The martyrs in heaven are begging God to judge and avenge their blood (Rev 6:9-11).
6. Consider the fear that possessed Joseph’s brethren when trouble came (Gen 42:21-22).
B. God will surely require the shedding of human blood by various means (Genesis 9:5).
C. What shall happen in coming years as the full psychological affect of abortion is seen?
1. The experience so far indicates that women may not suffer until years later in life.
2. The reflective years near menopause may be the time of affliction for many women.
X. The JUSTIFICATION OF ABORTION Considers those Arguments for Abortion in Special Cases.
A. The special case of rape is raised as a situation that calls for the use of abortion.
1. Seduction and rape must be handled by God’s principles (Deut 22:23-29; Ex 22:16-17).
2. Never forget that both the rape and consequent conception are under God’s control.
3. While feeling sympathy for the rape victim, why not consider the innocent new life?
4. Why kill the innocent child? Doesn’t it have a right to live? Its father is guilty.
5. How does killing the child help the woman? It may bring more grief and pain itself.
6. While rape is a man abusing a woman, yet abortion is a woman abusing a child.
B. The special case of incest is raised as a situation that calls for the use of abortion.
1. While incest is a terrible thing, it should be handled God’s way and not man’s way.
2. With enforcement of proper punishment and responsibility, these cases can be solved.
3. Never forget that God grants conception: He has a purpose for the young child’s life.
4. Lot’s incest with his daughters created the Moabites and Ammonites (Gen 19:30-38).
5. Judah committed fornication with his daughter-in-law Tamar, and it was through one of their twins that Jesus Christ came into the world (Genesis 38; Matthew 1:3).
C. The special case of a mother’s life being at risk is raised as a situation for abortion.
1. These cases are so rare as to hardly deserve any attention. Remember that these can only be cases where killing the child is the only way to save the mother’s life.
2. Our Surgeon General, Dr. Koop, denies that he has ever seen such a situation due to the nature of the case and the improvement of medical technology.
3. Tubal pregnancies are acts of God, since the child cannot survive in such a case.
4. If it is impossible to save both lives, then certainly one life should be saved.
5. Where a choice is possible, parents may select whether the mother or child will live.
D. The special case of an afflicting disease or a disabling deformity is raised for abortion.
1. Leslie Lemke could be all that is said regarding abortion in the case of deformity.
2. But we will add the words of God (Exodus 4:11; Isaiah 45:9-10; John 9:1-3; 11:4).
3. If you grant abortion for less than perfect children, how far behind is infanticide?
E. The fears of overcrowding the earth are absolutely inane – we cannot use all the land.
F. These cases are generally raised to justify abortion rather than protect such victims.
XI. The FORGIVENESS OF ABORTION Is God’s Mercy to Those Who Truly Confess and Repent.
A. The Bible relates men and their sins so that we may witness God’s forgiveness.
1. David killed his good friend Uriah for his wife Bathsheba, but God forgave him.
2. Paul assisted in the murder of God’s deacon Stephen, but God also forgave him.
B. There is forgiveness with Jesus Christ for any sin, and repentant mothers should hear of Him from those who love Him and His children (Proverbs 28:13; I John 1:9).
XII.The PROTEST OF ABORTION Is the Collection of Duties We Have as American Christians.
A. We must PRAY that God will arise and let not prevail against the helpless (Ps 9:17-20).
1. Pray for our rulers to reverse the decision or pass a constitutional amendment.
2. Pray for our rulers to not approve the drugs that will make abortion much easier.
3. Pray for forgiveness for our nation for the sake of the righteous living in it.
4. Consider well the witness of God (Eccl 5:8) and the example of Esther (Esther 9).
B. We must TEACH ourselves and our children of God’s moral absolutes in this generation.
1. Teach your children to view this world and its choices from God’s holy Scriptures.
2. Teach your children about the scientific evidence for the full life of the unborn.
3. Teach your children as to the horror and perverse nature of killing the unborn.
C. We must PROMOTE strong and positive families that will guard our children against it.
1. Promote our boys to be strong leaders that will rule and control their wives wisely.
2. Promote our boys to be strong leaders that have a protective care for the unborn.
3. Promote a positive and happy life based on God’s creation in each little child.
D. We should WRITE our rulers and our editors to inform them of our opposition (Pr 31:8-9).
E. We should VOTE for rulers that are willing to take a clear stand against abortion.
F. We should PROTEST as we have conviction and opportunity to do so prudently.
1. We are not dealing with the same situation as the Egyptian midwives (Ex 1:15-22). If our rulers required abortions, we would do everything possible to help women who wanted to spare their children from death. We would value life over civil authority.
2. However, we face a different situation. The government simply allows abortion. The murderous party is the mother herself, and how do you protect her young from her?
3. God has not called N.T. churches to mobilize forces for political or social action.
4. If a member is convicted personally, he or she ought to satisfy their conscience.
5. All protests should be considered for (a) legality, (b) impression, and (c) results.
6. Remember that when the wicked are in power wise righteous men hide (Prov 28:12,28).
G. We should PREPARE ourselves in advance for further encroachment on God’s ordinances.
H. You have to do something (Proverbs 24:11-12). You cannot plead ignorance any longer.