Skip to content
Noah (Gen 5:29-9:29)
- A faithful man in a wicked generation.
- A man who saved his family.
- Noah, the first zoo keeper.
- Reminders of God’s judgment (floating babies).
Babel’s tower (Gen 11:1-9)
- God confounds men: He is the author of confusion and division.
- Humor of man’s confused speech.
Abraham & Sarah (Gen 12:1-25:10)
- The life of the friend of God.
- The father of the faithful, with doubts – both Abraham (Gen 17:17) & Sarah (Gen 18:12) laughed.
- God’s promises are sure.
- Man’s impatience and its consequences – Hagar and Ishmael.
- The godly man’s boldness – recovery of Lot from 4 kings.
- God’s friend and his influence – discussion before Sodom & Gomorrah.
- The effect of compromise – Lot & his family in Sodom.
- God’s test – offering up Isaac. Gen 22:1-19
- A godly seed – sending back home to get Rebekah for Isaac.
- Competition with Esau in the family.
- Seeks the LORD when going out.
- Leah & Rachael: God sides with underdogs.
- Jacob learns new tricks in Laban’s employ.
- How to be a prince with God – don’t give up in prayer. Gen 32:24-32
- Sorrow at losing his favored son.
- Joy at God’s deliverance & restoration of Joseph.
- God protects His people by their enemies – Moses in Pharaoh’s household.
- Learning patience on the backside of the desert.
- Never too old to serve – Moses started at 80.
- The meekest man – he never sought the job. Exo 4:1-17
- The plagues of Egypt – God’s power & humor. Exo 6:1-12:36
- Man’s nature – grumbling & complaining at freedom & blessing (Israel).
- Leadership lessons – complainers, jealousy & second guessers.
- The holiness of God – giving of the Law at Sinai. Exo 19:16-
- Man’s nature II – when the cat’s away (the golden calves). Exo 32:1-29
- Mistakes that cost – smiting, not speaking to, the rock. Num 20:1-13
- A faithful young understudy to a great man.
- Faithful spy and messenger with Caleb. Num 13:26-14:10
- God strengthens to take command. Jos 1:1-18
- Faithful leader to the end. Jos 23:1-24:28
- Faith spy and messenger with Joshua.
- Endured the punishment of others to get to his reward.
- Bold and courageous man for God to the end. Jos 14:6-15; 15:13-19
- The faithful Gentile (Moabite). Ruth 1:6-18,
- Her care & affection for Naomi, her mother in law.
- God’s providence in life – Ruth’s hap. Ruth 2:1-3
- Great character will open all doors. Ruth 2:4-12
- A courageous, talented, godly young man.
- His zeal for the LORD in slaying Goliath. 1Sam 17:1-54
- The wise and gracious man. 1Sam 17:55-18:5
- The flawed man – “thou art the man” 2Sam 12:1-14
- Be sure your sin will find you out – Amnon, Absolum & Adonijah.
- The wise ruler – the house cleaning at his death bed. 1Ki 2:1-9
- An orphan girl in a foreign land comes out on top.
- God’s great providential care of His people.
- The comic ironies of Haman’s demise.
- A course in Biblical Management 101.
- Having a vision.
- Powerful praying.
- Doing right under all circumstances.
- In spite of great difficulties & disappointments.
- In spite of external opposition & enemies.
- In spite of internal opposition.
- The importance of follow up.
- His humble birth and upbringing.
- His ministry.
- Peter walking on the water. Matt 14:22-33 (Mark 6:45-51)
- His miracles of healing, feeding, and raising the dead.
- The man of the Gadarenes Luke 8:26-39
- The man born blind John 9:1-38
- His contention with the religious rulers.
- The Great Debate Matt 22:15-46; Mark 12:13-37; Luke 20:20-44
- His death & resurrection.
- Fulfilling prophecy.
- Rejection by the masses.
- A man born to die.
- Unselfish sacrifice for others.
- His reappearance to His disciples
- Mary Magdalene at the tomb John 20:11-18
- The road to Emmaus Luke 24:13-35
The early church.
- Prayer in the upper room that lead to power at Pentecost.
- Paul’s conversion. Acts 9:1-31
- Cornelius’ conversion. Acts 10:1-48
- Peter’s deliverance from prison. Acts 12:1-19