Proverb Commentaries: Chapter 26
1. As snow in summer, and as rain in harvest, so honour is not seemly for a fool.
2. As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.
3. A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool’s back.
4. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
5. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.
6. He that sendeth a message by the hand of a fool cutteth off the feet, and drinketh damage.
7. The legs of the lame are not equal: so is a parable in the mouth of fools.
8. As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honour to a fool.
9. As a thorn goeth up into the hand of a drunkard, so is a parable in the mouths of fools.
10. The great God that formed all things both rewardeth the fool, and rewardeth transgressors.
11. As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
12. Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
13. The slothful man saith, There is a lion in the way; a lion is in the streets.
14. As the door turneth upon his hinges, so doth the slothful upon his bed.
15. The slothful hideth his hand in his bosom; it grieveth him to bring it again to his mouth.
16. The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason.
17. He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.
18. As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death,
19. So is the man that deceiveth his neighbour, and saith, Am not I in sport?
20. Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
21. As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.
22. The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.
23. Burning lips and a wicked heart are like a potsherd covered with silver dross.
24. He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him;
25. When he speaketh fair, believe him not: for there are seven abominations in his heart.
26. Whose hatred is covered by deceit, his wickedness shall be shewed before the whole congregation.
27. Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein: and he that rolleth a stone, it will return upon him.
28. A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.