Christmas is Spiritual Adultery
These be thy gods, O Israel …
Tomorrow is a feast to the LORD.
Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel
hath done? she is gone up upon every high
mountain and under every green tree,
and there hath played the harlot.
For a Christian to have a Christmas tree and engage in Christmas customs around December 25 is the same betrayal as a woman making love to her husband while thinking about another past lover, or with treasured intimate mementos of his in her dresser, or using sexual techniques she learned from him. If you think this is extreme or harsh, read Ezekiel 16 and/or 23 carefully.
1. Adultery is horrible. When a woman gives her body and love to another man for intimate sexual pleasures, she terribly betrays her husband. He is defrauded by having his most personal and prized object treacherously shared with a competitor. Adultery is outrageously wicked (Lev 20:10; Num 5:11-31; Job 31:9-12; Pr 6:32-35).
2. Jealousy is the result. It is the anger, envy, and pain when something dear to you is given to another. It occurs intensely in a husband, when his wife gives her body and love to others. Adultery causes great jealousy, as Scripture and nature show (Num 5:11-31; Prov 6:32-35).
3. God is Jealous. He created and saved His people from serving the devil to be His very own bride. He expects total adoration and perfect obedience. The first and great commandment is to love Him with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. He will not share your love or interest with other things. His name is Jealous, and He burns in jealous rage when His people even flirt with anything else (Ex 20:3-5; 34:14; Deut 4:24; 6:15; 29:20; 32:16; Josh 24:19; Is 42:8; 48:11; I Cor 10:22).
4. God hates idols and icons. God condemned all idols, any graven image or likeness of any thing, and any devotion given to them, because He is jealous of any flirting or distraction by His chosen bride with the false gods of paganism. Their gods are bugs, trees, stones, and stars. He is the invisible Spirit of eternity. He does not want any other object getting even indirect attention. He even hated Moses’ brass serpent (Ex 20:3-5; Deut 4:15-26; 5:8; II Kgs 18:3-4; Is 40:25).
5. False religion is spiritual adultery. The Old Testament condemned association with false religion as spiritual adultery with false gods in the most graphic terms. Due to the ignorance of most Christians, they are unaware of these awful charges and descriptions in the word of God (Ex 34:10-17; Lev 17:1-9; 20:1-8; Num 14:33; 15:37-41; Deut 31:14-21; Judges 2:17; 8:27,33; II Kings 9:22; I Chron 5:25; II Chron 21:12-15; Psalm 73:25-28; 106:34-43; Jer 3:1-5,9; 13:25-27; Ezek 6:8-10; 16:15-38; 20:28-32; 23:1-49; 43:7-10; Hosea 1:1-3; 2:1-5; 4:12-19; 5:1-7; 6:4-11; 9:1; Nah 3:1-7).
6. Props to worship God are condemned. The Lord knew His people would be intrigued by the customs of pagan religion, including the use of green trees. So He condemned any flirting with false gods by His people using their customs in worshipping Him. Their intentions or motives toward Him did not matter! He was extremely jealous of their use of traditions and/or objects from His competitors while professing to love Him only (Ex 32:1-6,26-29; Deut 12:1-4; 12:29-32).
7. Christians cannot flirt with the world. The blessed God plainly condemns friendship with this world as spiritual adultery. If you love the world, then you have betrayed and cheated on the Lord. He hates everything the world loves, and He demands His people to come out from them and not even touch their things, including Christmas, which is the world’s favorite religious and commercial festival (II Cor 6:14-17; Luke 16:15; James 4:4; I John 2:15-17; Rev 18:4).
8. True saints are chaste virgins. Paul’s ministerial work, based in godly jealousy and fear, was to present churches and saints as chaste virgins to Christ, pure from fornication with another Jesus, spirit, or gospel. There is another Jesus presented by Satan, but loyal saints will have nothing to do with this pretending seducer. Neither will they be moved by the Christmas spirit that infects so many during the final weeks of the year (II Cor 11:1-4; Eph 5:27; Col 1:28; I John 4:1-6).
9. Compromise is adultery against Christ. We are living in the perilous times of the last days, when an effeminate and compromising brand of Christianity threatens the true saints and churches of Jesus. Most so-called Christians today love the world and pleasure more than holy living and doctrinal preaching. They have no heart for earnestly contending for the faith once delivered to the saints. They prefer fables of Santa and Christmas dramas at church rather than hard preaching of God’s inspired Scriptures. They have turned from the Lover of their soul to entertaining seducers (II Tim 3:1 – 4:5; Jude 1:3).
10. Roman Catholicism is the Great Whore. The Bible describes the church of Rome as a garishly dressed harlot with a chalice full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication, because she adopted many pagan customs to seduce her followers into spiritual adultery. This has been the near universal understanding of God’s true saints for 2000 years. But she is not alone, for the churches of the Protestant Reformation are her harlot daughters by retaining many of her sacramental and liturgical corruptions (Dan 7:1-28; II Thess 2:3-12; I Tim 4:1-3; Rev 13:1-18; 17:1-18; 18:1-24; 19:1-4).
11. Christmas is Catholic. For Bible believers, the name of the winter feast is enough – Christ’s Mass. The mass is a Catholic blasphemy in which they pretend to turn a cracker into God on their altars. They bow, worship, and talk to their cracker before eating it. Then they lock the leftover God in a little house made to keep Him safe. The Lord Jesus Christ died once for His elect, and He has never been on the altar of any Catholic Church. He is coming soon to vaporize it with the breath of His mouth (II Thes 2:3-12; I Tim 2:5; Heb 10:10-14).
12. Christmas is pagan idolatry. Superstitious pagans soon invented the worship of agriculture and the sun, for they realized their lives depended on both. Winter celebrations developed long before Jesus to celebrate harvest and the Invincible Sun. It was common to use evergreen branches, wreaths, and trees in their winter festivals. The Bible condemns green trees, even if they are used to worship God and celebrate the birth of Jesus (Deut 12:1-4; Jer 2:20; 3:6,13; 10:1-16).
13. Christmas is spiritual adultery. Taking an evergreen tree, putting it in your house, decorating it with twinkling lights, sitting in the dark, and adoring it to the tunes of Christmas carols is spiritual adultery. You are professing to love Jesus Christ, but you are doing so with the mementos and techniques brought from other lovers – the world and pagan religion. You are not content with Jesus Christ and His pure gospel found in the New Testament – for there is no Christmas there. You have added seductions of the world to keep you happy in your marriage. Jesus Christ is offended at your whorish ways.
14. Only total rejection will work. God is jealous. He will not let you flirt with His competitors. He will not let you keep mementos from past lovers, like an evergreen tree. He will not let you remember the important dates of past intimacy with paganism, like December 25. He will not let you use a blasphemous combination of His name, like Christ’s Mass. He demands that you separate totally from your past lovers, the world, and false religion (Rom 12:1-2; 16:17-18; II Cor 6:14-17; II Thess 3:6; I Tim 6:3-5; II Tim 3:1-5; Titus 3:10-11; Rev 18:4).
15. There are many Scriptures to help. The Bible clearly condemns observing Christmas and other holy days of Rome’s whitewashed paganism. We are Bible Christians, and our religion is based squarely on the word of God without any regard for human tradition, popular opinion, warm and fuzzy feelings, or the countless compromises and inventions of contemporary Christianity.
There are many Bible reasons not to celebrate Christmas for those who esteem God’s precepts concerning all things to be right and that hate every false way (Ps 119:128). The God of heaven has specified exactly how He wants to be worshipped. He does not accept inventions or modifications. And He seeks those who will worship Him in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24). You are living in the perilous times of the last days – a time of great compromise by so-called Christians (II Tim 3:1 – 4:5 ). Where do you stand?
God is jealous. He knew religious customs of other nations were attractive, so He warned His people strictly to reject all of them. He would not accept any pagan religious traditions, even if done to Him (Deut 12:1-4,29-31). He demands perfect obedience, without turning to the right or the left, without adding or taking away (Deut 5:32; 12:32). He expects you to come out and be separate (II Cor 6:14-18).